Saturday, August 20, 2011

I love/hate Football

As the sports start ramping up, there's this huge love Mike and I have of watching our babies run and sweat and play their hearts out.  Marin won't start her soccer season until September.  And in the past, Shane has started flag football in September as well. But this year my boy started tackle.  There's been some amazing mature transformations that I've seen in him.  I'm so proud of how hard he's been working and the coolest thing is to see his own pride in himself.  He made some goals for himself and he's reaching them.  And he knows it's because of his own choices and hard work.  And it's been really hard!


It's a bittersweet thing to watch tackle with boys.  They make that same cracking sound you hear on t.v. as you watch professionals tackle each other.  Crunching helmet to helmet or pads.  So crazy when it's your boy or boys you know.  As a mom I see my little boy walk out there wearing these huge pads and little tight pants.  Aww...so cute!  And then in another moment, the coaches are riling the boys up.... yelling at them (just like the movies!) and encouraging hard hits.  And then one of the boys gets knocked down....wind knocked out of him....trying to catch his breath.  Ugh!  Hard to watch.




He's working SO hard.  Practice every day of the week (excluding weekends) for the whole month of August.  (Practices will slow down a little when school starts.)  His little body is so black and blue with new bruises popping up daily.  All the boys are learning specific plays.  Trying to be very methodical in each move.

  























And my guy.....he's ALL in.  Working the hardest I've seen him work for anything and loving it.  And so... there I am on the bleachers.  Where I so want to be.  Cheering my boy on.  "Go Shane!"  "Get him!"

I may have to cringe at times, but I do love watching those boys play.   Love watching MY boy play.



2 comments:

  1. Love living this story with my family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of Shane although I hate seeing all the bruises, he seems to be pretty proud of them, go figure.

    ReplyDelete